Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cockroaches, Dogs, and Scorpions, Oh My!

As you can tell from the title of this blog entry, I have come in contact with several animalitos in our house. First of all, we have a dog named Muñeco here. He came with the school and is supposed to be our guard dog. However, he is extremely friendly and we have taught him how to sit, shake, and fetch a frisbee. I really like to play with him and give him love. Who ever thought I’d be a dog person? Here’s a picture of him:
 
  
I am not sure if I mentioned the set up of our house in a previos post but I share a bathroom with one of my community mates, Bianca. This bathroom is notorious for having many critters - cockroaches being the most prevalent. Now, when I say cockroaches, I am not talking about the tiny little things that some people have in their houses in the US. These are some decently sized bugs! To show their size, this is a picture of one next to a US quarter:

In our house, we strive to be people of peace and non-violence. Therefore, we have adopted the philosophy of not killing or harming anything that cannot hurt us. For me personally, it has helped me remember how every living thing has a role in this world and how it is better to live alongside all sorts of different animals, than it is to bring them harm.

And then there’s the scorpions…

I have an immense fear of scorpions. Maybe it is rooted in horror stories or from movies I have seen, I’m not sure. While their sting does not contain deadly poison, I have heard that it causes a great deal of pain and numbness, which I would like to avoid. Needless to say, every now and then Bianca and I find a “friend” in our bathroom. Just last night, we found this one:

When I was out in El Largatillo, the community where we went for language school, I was living with a host familia and my brother and I were talking one night. He was sitting across from me and I was standing, leaning against the door to my bedroom. All of a sudden, my brother got really animated and kept telling me to move. He jumped up and came over to where I was standing, just as I saw something slide under my door. He quickly went in and killed this scorpion:

Afterwards, he told me how close it had been to my foot, only about an inch away! My heart was racing for awhile after that!
One of my very first experiences seeing a cockroach here was sometime during the first couple of weeks I was here. I was already paranoid because one of the volunteers who left in December kept telling me stories about finding them in the house. So, one morning I walked out of my bedroom and as I was closing the door, something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. On the doorframe, near the hinge, was a scorpion with a cockroach in its mouth!! That was fun to experience first thing in the morning! Oh, and of course I took a picture of it.

Despite all the critters, I love being here. I have finally started going to work, although it’s just teacher meetings right now. I will write more about that next time.
Take care and know I am sending you my love.

6 comments:

  1. We are definitely going to have to work on getting our courage up to face the creepy,crawly things in Nica. You continue to amaze me as you adapt to the new surroundings! Railey wants to come visit Muneco! Thanks for the updates on your blog! It is always good to hear and see what is happening in your world. I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrienne, you are an excellent writer....your description of the bugs and fear put me right there next to you with my heart racing. You may have a calling to be an author in addition to your calling to serve. Praying for you every day. Happy Valentine's Day!
    Love, Auntie H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adrienne, everytime I listen to the CD you gave me I think of you. It is so interesting to hear how you are experiencing the Nica culture. The people and geography sound so facsinating. I pray for you everyday and I know you will have such a positive impact on everyone you meet there. Love Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gahhhhh! Adrienne, the picture of the scorpion EATING a cockroach is a combination of terrifying and funny. What a wonderful surprise as you're waking up!

    Blessed Easter. I've loved reading about your daily life in Nicaragua. It makes me a little homesick for Latin America. It sounds like you're staying pretty positive to take the challenges with a grain of salt together with the blessings. Adelante, muchacha! :)

    You are missed!
    Love, Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remaining lung is vestigial and is also missing in some species. In majority of species only 1 lung is functional הדברת יתושים טבעית

    ReplyDelete
  6. With our exponentially growing population, the demand for meat is raising at an unsustainable rate. As such, the need for protein feed is increasing exponentially. There is huge pressure on soybean farmers to find more land, while our ocean fish stocks are being depleted to produce animal feed. To help relieve some pressure off, many new farms and companies are looking into insects. Protein-rich, fast growing, and numerous, insects can be the life fuel of tomorrow. עורך דין לקניין רוחני ראשון לציון

    ReplyDelete